Sunday, June 24, 2018

Manuel & Josue- June 2018

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." -Jeremiah 29:11-13

Half way through their first year of college, 6 months since Marvin, kids, and I left Honduras, 5 months after they moved to San Pedro Sula (the big city), MANUEL & JOSUE are doing great!


Manuel and Josue in front of Lake Yojoa when they returned to Pena Blanca to receive their school records.
God used a variety of circumstances to lead Marvin and I to Honduras January 2016. Looking back now, we know the primary purpose of our 2 years there- to host Marvin's brother Josue and his friend/cousin Manuel as they completed high school. Thankfully, we weren't just a "host." We all became family. A family that shared good times and bad times, joy and grief, times of little and times of plenty. 

Manuel and Josue graduated from high school December 2017 and began attending a university in San Pedro Sula February 2018. It was a hard journey to get admitted to the university, but both boys were dedicated in their studies and committed to continuing their education. We are so proud of both of them and are excited that they have completed their first semester of college classes. They passed all of their classes, are connected with a church, cook for themselves, and continue to grow and mature into amazing young men of God. 

Here are some of their reflections (translated to English) about their first semester of school:

MANUEL:

Studying is a goal that everyone desires, but in order to study, you have to have a plan how to do it. My experience studying has been good and bad, but I can learn from everything. My dream has always been to study and never give up. The most important thing in my life is to have God in first place because He is the one that helps us to see life in different ways and He helps us to move forward. The university- many people told me that it would be so complicated. Now that I am experiencing it, I can see that it is difficult, but if I put forth the effort, I can reach my dreams. Now I am reaching it. It is a beautiful thing to study what one enjoys and to meet many friends that help me to continue fighting. Every person decides the path he wants to take, I have decided in a path that honors God in all aspects.
Manuel (bottom right) and some classmates on a trip to Panacam
JOSUE:

I have been experiencing changes, some spiritual, school, work and social changes. Thanks to God's help, I have been able to face situations, and I have been able to move forward in each of them. When I arrived in this new place, I started to experience a new life. I have met new people who have marked my life and have felt so grateful to God. I am growing in independence from day to day: cooking, cleaning, washing, studying, etc. Living here is really a blessing. It is incredible how God has manifest in my life and how I have been able to learn through his word more and more. I feel that God has anointed me and that I am special to him and that each day he is calling me to be a piece to grow his kingdom. I am praying for wisdom to know what it really is that God is calling me to do. Being at the university is a privilege, a blessing that God sent to me.
Josue on a class trip to Panacam
RAMOS FAMILY:

We are adjusting back to life in the states where life runs at a much faster pace. Marvin is working in metal fabrication at a commercial roofing business. I am working as a nurse at a non-profit pediatric clinic. Thomas and Joanna go to daycare and enjoy seeing their grandparents more frequently. They have a love for each other that inspires me. We are thankful for technology that allows us to keep in touch with Honduras friends and family. We have purchased a home in Hixson, TN and are so thankful to be in a place that really feels like home.


Marvin, Thomas, Joanna, and Karen on May 15th- Marvin and Thomas's birthday

"Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." -Ephesians 5:1-2


I hope this scripture reminds you of two important truths: You are loved. You are to love.

Blessings, Karen

(Thank you to all who continue to pray for our family and Manuel and Josue. Thank you also for the financial support that ensures the boys continue in their education, have living expenses and transportation paid for, and has allowed them to receive important medical/dental care as well. Praise God for all the pieces he has placed together to form the masterpiece that is Manuel and Josue's future.)